For the director of music. To the tune of “The Lily of the Covenant.” A miktam[b] of David. For teaching. When he fought Aram Naharaim[c] and Aram Zobah,[d] and when Joab returned and struck down twelve thousand Edomites in the Valley of Salt.
You have rejected us, God, and burst upon us;
you have been angry—now restore us!
You have shaken the land and torn it open;
mend its fractures, for it is quaking.
You have shown your people desperate times;
you have given us wine that makes us stagger.
But for those who fear you, you have raised a banner
to be unfurled against the bow.[e]
- Psalm 60:1 In Hebrew texts 60:1-12 is numbered 60:3-14.
- Psalm 60:1 Title: Probably a literary or musical term
- Psalm 60:1 Title: That is, Arameans of Northwest Mesopotamia
- Psalm 60:1 Title: That is, Arameans of central Syria
- Psalm 60:4 The Hebrew has Selah (a word of uncertain meaning) here.