The Genealogy of Jesus the Messiah
2 Abraham [d]was the father of Isaac, Isaac the father of Jacob, and Jacob the father of [e]Judah and his brothers [who became the twelve tribes of Israel]. 3 Judah was the father of Perez and Zerah by Tamar, Perez was the father of Hezron, and Hezron the father of Ram. 4 Ram was the father of Aminadab, Aminadab the father of Nahshon, and Nahshon the father of Salmon. 5 Salmon was the father of Boaz by [f]Rahab, Boaz was the father of Obed by Ruth, and Obed the father of Jesse. 6 Jesse was the father of [g]David the king.
David was the father of Solomon by [h]Bathsheba who had been the wife of Uriah. 7 Solomon was the father of Rehoboam, Rehoboam the father of Abijah, and Abijah the father of Asa. 8 Asa was the father of Jehoshaphat, Jehoshaphat the father of Joram, and Joram the father of Uzziah. 9 Uzziah was the father of Jotham, Jotham the father of Ahaz, and Ahaz the father of Hezekiah. 10 Hezekiah was the father of Manasseh, Manasseh the father of Amon, and Amon the father of Josiah. 11 Josiah became the father of Jeconiah [also called Coniah and Jehoiachin] and his brothers, at the time of the deportation (exile) to Babylon.
12 After the deportation to Babylon: Jeconiah became the father of Shealtiel, and Shealtiel the father of Zerubbabel. 13 Zerubbabel was the father of Abihud, Abihud the father of Eliakim, and Eliakim the father of Azor. 14 Azor was the father of Zadok, Zadok the father of Achim, and Achim the father of Eliud. 15 Eliud was the father of Eleazar, Eleazar the father of Matthan, and Matthan the father of Jacob. 16 Jacob was the father of Joseph the husband of Mary, by [i]whom Jesus was born, who is called the Messiah (Christ).
17 So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen; from David to the Babylonian deportation (exile), fourteen generations; and from the Babylonian deportation to the Messiah, fourteen generations.
Conception and Birth of Jesus
18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was as follows: when His mother Mary had been [j]betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be with child by [the power of] the Holy Spirit. 19 And Joseph her [promised] husband, being a just and righteous man and not wanting to expose her publicly to shame, planned to send her away and divorce her quietly. 20 But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, descendant of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife, for the Child who has been [k]conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. 21 She will give birth to a Son, and you shall name Him Jesus (The Lord is salvation), for He will [l]save His people from their sins.” 22 All this happened in order to fulfill what the Lord had spoken through the [m]prophet [Isaiah]: 23 “Behold, the [n]virgin shall be with child and give birth to a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel”—which, when translated, means, “God with us.” 24 Then Joseph awoke from his sleep and did as the angel of the Lord had commanded him, and he took Mary [to his home] as his wife, 25 but he kept her a virgin until she had given birth to a Son [her firstborn child]; and he named Him Jesus (The Lord is salvation).
Notas al pie
- Matthew 1:1 Heb Yeshua (Joshua), meaning The Lord is salvation.
- Matthew 1:1 Gr Christos. Greek for Messiah, which means Anointed One. Throughout his gospel, which is directed primarily to Jewish believers, Matthew uses OT Scripture to emphasize the fact that Jesus is their promised Messiah.
- Matthew 1:1 The shepherd boy who killed the Philistine giant Goliath, and later became king of Israel.
- Matthew 1:2 Lit begot, fathered, from the Greek word gennao, meaning “to father a child” (early modern English beget) and so throughout the genealogy whenever father occurs.
- Matthew 1:2 Gr Judas; names of people in the OT are given in their OT form.
- Matthew 1:5 The woman who assisted the Hebrew spies before the conquest of Jericho (Josh 2:1-21).
- Matthew 1:6 David is the only one addressed as “the king.” The text places an emphasis on David, showing that Jesus is a descendant of David and an heir to the throne of David and the Davidic Covenant.
- Matthew 1:6 Lit her of Uriah.
- Matthew 1:16 The Greek singular feminine pronoun hes, translated “whom,” shows that Jesus was born of Mary alone, without Joseph’s participation; however, Jesus was considered Joseph’s legal son and heir. Accordingly, Matthew’s genealogy confirms Jesus as a legitimate descendant of David.
- Matthew 1:18 The first stage of marriage (called shiddukin in Hebrew) in Jewish tradition and law, usually lasting for a year before the wedding night; unlike an engagement, it was legally binding and required a divorce to nullify it. The woman remained with her parents during the betrothal year and was referred to as a “wife” even though the marriage was not consummated during this period of time (cf Deut 22:23, 24).
- Matthew 1:20 Lit begotten.
- Matthew 1:21 Those who, by personal faith, accept Him as Savior are saved from the penalty of sin and reconciled with the Father.
- Matthew 1:22 The prophets in the Bible always have the ability to foretell the future as revealed to them by God. Scripture provides stringent criteria for testing a prophet’s ability to foretell future events (Deut 18:22).
- Matthew 1:23 “Virgin” (Gr parthenos) clearly confirms that Mary was a virgin when she gave birth to Jesus.
Ang mga Katigulangan ni Jesu-Cristo
1Amo ini ang mga katigulangan ni Jesu-Cristo1:1 Cristo: Tan-awa ang Lista sang mga Pulong sa likod. nga kaliwat ni David. Si David nga ini kaliwat ni Abraham.
2Si Abraham amay ni Isaac, si Isaac amay ni Jacob, kag si Jacob amay ni Juda kag sang iya mga utod nga lalaki. 3Si Juda amay ni Perez kag ni Zera, kag si Tamar ang ila iloy. Si Perez amay ni Hezron, kag si Hezron amay ni Ram.1:3 Ram: Amo ini sa Hebreo. Sa Griego, Aram. 4Si Ram amay ni Aminadab, si Aminadab amay ni Nashon, kag si Nashon amay ni Salmon. 5Si Salmon amay ni Boaz, kag si Rahab ang iya iloy. Si Boaz amay ni Obed, kag si Ruth ang iya iloy. Si Obed amay ni Jesse, 6kag si Jesse amay ni Haring David.
Si Haring David amay ni Solomon kag ang iya iloy asawa anay ni Uria. 7Si Solomon amay ni Rehoboam, si Rehoboam amay ni Abia, kag si Abia amay ni Asa. 8Si Asa amay ni Jehoshafat, si Jehoshafat amay ni Joram, kag si Joram amay ni Uzia. 9Si Uzia amay ni Jotam, si Jotam amay ni Ahaz, kag si Ahaz amay ni Hezekia. 10Si Hezekia amay ni Manase, si Manase amay ni Amos,1:10 Amos: ukon, Amon. si Amos amay ni Josia, 11kag si Josia amay ni Jeconia1:11 Jeconia: ukon, Jehoyakin. kag sang iya mga utod nga lalaki. Sang sadto nga panahon, ginbihag ang mga taga-Israel pa-Babilonia.
12Amo ini ang lista sang mga katigulangan ni Jesus sa tapos mabihag ang mga taga-Israel pa-Babilonia: si Jeconia amay ni Shealtiel, si Shealtiel amay ni Zerubabel, 13si Zerubabel amay ni Abiud, si Abiud amay ni Eliakim, kag si Eliakim amay ni Azor. 14Si Azor amay ni Zadok, si Zadok amay ni Akim, kag si Akim amay ni Eliud. 15Si Eliud amay ni Eleazar, si Eleazar amay ni Matan, si Matan amay ni Jacob, 16si Jacob amay ni Jose nga bana ni Maria. Si Maria amo ang iloy ni Jesus nga ginatawag Cristo. 17Gani may 14 ka henerasyon halin kay Abraham hasta kay David. Kag may 14 man ka henerasyon halin kay David hasta sa pagbihag sa mga taga-Israel pa-Babilonia. Halin sa pagbihag pa-Babilonia may 14 pa gid ka henerasyon hasta kay Cristo.
Ang Pagkatawo ni Cristo
18Amo ini ang estorya sang pagkatawo ni Jesu-Cristo: Si Maria nga iya iloy kalaslon na kay Jose. Pero sa wala pa sila mag-upod nasapwan ni Maria nga nagabusong na siya paagi sa Espiritu Santo. 19Karon, si Jose nga mangin iya bana isa ka matarong nga tawo kag indi siya luyag nga mahuy-an si Maria sa mga tawo. Gani ginpakamaayo niya nga bulagan si Maria sa tago lang. 20Samtang ginahunahuna ni Jose ang iya himuon, nagpakita sa iya sa damgo ang anghel sang Ginoo nga nagasiling, “Jose, kaliwat ni David, indi ka magkahadlok nga magpangasawa kay Maria, kay nagabusong siya paagi sa Espiritu Santo. 21Magabata siya sing lalaki kag ngalanan mo ang bata nga Jesus,1:21 Jesus: buot silingon sang sini nga ngalan sa Hebreo, Nagaluwas ang Ginoo. kay luwason niya ang iya katawhan sa ila mga sala.” 22Natabo ini agod matuman ang ginsiling sang Ginoo paagi sa propeta nga nagsiling, 23“Magabusong ang isa ka birhen kag magabata sing lalaki. Kag pagatawgon ang ini nga bata nga Emmanuel”1:23 Isa. 7:14. (nga kon sayuron, “Ang Dios kaupod naton”). 24Gani pagbugtaw ni Jose gintuman niya ang ginsiling sang anghel sang Ginoo, kag ginpangasawa niya si Maria. 25Pero wala niya gintandog si Maria samtang wala pa ini makabata. Sang nakabata na si Maria, gin-ngalanan ni Jose ang bata nga Jesus.