Ukoo Wa Yesu Kristo
1Kumbukumbu ya vizazi vya ukoo wa Yesu Kristo mwana wa Daudi na wa Abrahamu: 2 Abrahamu alikuwa baba yake Isaka; Isaka alikuwa baba yake Yakobo; na Yakobo alikuwa baba yake Yuda na ndugu zake. 3 Yuda alikuwa baba yake Peresi na Zera ambao mama yao alikuwa Tamari; Peresi alikuwa baba yake Esroni; Esroni alikuwa baba yake Aramu; 4 Aramu alikuwa baba yake Aminadabu; Aminadabu alikuwa baba yake Nashoni; Nashoni alikuwa baba yake Salmoni; 5 Salmoni alikuwa baba yake Boazi na mama yake Salmoni alikuwa Rahabu. Boazi alikuwa baba yake Obedi, ambaye mama yake alikuwa Ruti; Obedi alikuwa baba yake Yese; 6 Yese alikuwa baba yake Daudi ambaye alikuwa mfalme. Daudi alikuwa baba yake Solomoni ambaye mama yake ni yule aliyekuwa mke wa Uria; 7 Solomoni alikuwa baba yake Rehoboamu; Rehoboamu alikuwa baba yake Abiya; Abiya alikuwa baba yake Asa; 8 Asa alikuwa baba yake Yehoshafati; Yehoshafati alikuwa baba yake Yoramu; Yoramu alikuwa baba yake Uzia; 9 Uzia alikuwa baba yake Yothamu; Yothamu alikuwa baba yake Ahazi; Ahazi alikuwa baba yake Hezekia; 10 Hezekia alikuwa baba yake Manase; Manase alikuwa baba yake Amoni; Amoni alikuwa baba yake Yosia; 11 wakati wa uhamisho wa Babiloni, Yosia alimzaa Yekonia na ndugu zake; 12 na baada ya uhamisho wa Babiloni Yekonia alimzaa Shealtieli; Shealtieli alikuwa baba yake Zerubabeli; 13 Zeru babeli alikuwa baba yake Abihudi; Abihudi alikuwa baba yake Eliakimu ; Eliakimu alikuwa baba yake Azori; 14 Azori alikuwa baba yake Zadoki; Zadoki alikuwa baba yake Akimu; Akimu alikuwa baba yake Eliudi; 15 Eliudi alikuwa baba yake Elieza; Elieza alikuwa baba yake Matani; Matani alikuwa baba yake Yakobo; 16 Yakobo alikuwa baba yake Yosefu ambaye alikuwa mumewe Mar ia, aliyemzaa Yesu anayeitwa Kristo. 17 Basi, kulikuwepo vizazi kumi na vinne tangu Abrahamu mpaka wakati wa mfalme Daudi; na vizazi kumi na vinne tangu mfalme Daudi hadi wakati wa uhamisho wa Babiloni na vizazi kumi na vinne tangu wakati wa uhamisho hadi Kristo.
Kuzaliwa Kwa Yesu Kristo
18 Kuzaliwa kwake Yesu Kristo kulikuwa hivi: Maria mama yake, alikuwa ameposwa na Yosefu. Lakini kabla ya ndoa yao, Mar ia akiwa bado bikira, alipata mimba kwa uweza wa Roho Mtakatifu. 19 Kwa kuwa Yosefu alikuwa mtu mwema hakutaka kumwaibisha mchumba wake Maria hadharani. Kwa hiyo aliamua kuvunja uchumba wao kwa siri. 20 Lakini alipokuwa bado anawaza juu ya jambo hili, malaika wa Bwana akamtokea katika ndoto akasema, “Yosefu mwana wa Daudi, usisite kumwoa Maria mchumba wako kwa maana mimba aliyo nayo ameipata kwa uweza wa Roho Mtakatifu. 21 Naye atamzaa mtoto wa kiume, nawe utamwita jina lake Yesu; kwa maana yeye ndiye atakayewaokoa watu wake kutoka katika dhambi zao.”
22 Hayo yote yalitokea ili kutimiza maneno ya Mungu yaliyos emwa na nabii wake: 23 “Tazama bikira atachukua mimba, naye atamzaa mtoto wa kiume nao watamwita Imanueli,” maana yake, “Mungu pamoja nasi”. 24 Yosefu alipoamka usingizini, alifanya kama alivyoagizwa na malaika wa Bwana; akamchukua mkewe Maria nyumbani kwake, 25 lakini hawakukaribiana mpaka Maria alipoji fungua mtoto wa kiume. Yosefu akamwita jina lake Yesu.
The Genealogy of Jesus the Messiah
2 Abraham [d]was the father of Isaac, Isaac the father of Jacob, and Jacob the father of [e]Judah and his brothers [who became the twelve tribes of Israel]. 3 Judah was the father of Perez and Zerah by Tamar, Perez was the father of Hezron, and Hezron the father of Ram. 4 Ram was the father of Aminadab, Aminadab the father of Nahshon, and Nahshon the father of Salmon. 5 Salmon was the father of Boaz by [f]Rahab, Boaz was the father of Obed by Ruth, and Obed the father of Jesse. 6 Jesse was the father of [g]David the king.
David was the father of Solomon by [h]Bathsheba who had been the wife of Uriah. 7 Solomon was the father of Rehoboam, Rehoboam the father of Abijah, and Abijah the father of Asa. 8 Asa was the father of Jehoshaphat, Jehoshaphat the father of Joram, and Joram the father of Uzziah. 9 Uzziah was the father of Jotham, Jotham the father of Ahaz, and Ahaz the father of Hezekiah. 10 Hezekiah was the father of Manasseh, Manasseh the father of Amon, and Amon the father of Josiah. 11 Josiah became the father of Jeconiah [also called Coniah and Jehoiachin] and his brothers, at the time of the deportation (exile) to Babylon.
12 After the deportation to Babylon: Jeconiah became the father of Shealtiel, and Shealtiel the father of Zerubbabel. 13 Zerubbabel was the father of Abihud, Abihud the father of Eliakim, and Eliakim the father of Azor. 14 Azor was the father of Zadok, Zadok the father of Achim, and Achim the father of Eliud. 15 Eliud was the father of Eleazar, Eleazar the father of Matthan, and Matthan the father of Jacob. 16 Jacob was the father of Joseph the husband of Mary, by [i]whom Jesus was born, who is called the Messiah (Christ).
17 So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen; from David to the Babylonian deportation (exile), fourteen generations; and from the Babylonian deportation to the Messiah, fourteen generations.
Conception and Birth of Jesus
18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was as follows: when His mother Mary had been [j]betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be with child by [the power of] the Holy Spirit. 19 And Joseph her [promised] husband, being a just and righteous man and not wanting to expose her publicly to shame, planned to send her away and divorce her quietly. 20 But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, descendant of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife, for the Child who has been [k]conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. 21 She will give birth to a Son, and you shall name Him Jesus (The Lord is salvation), for He will [l]save His people from their sins.” 22 All this happened in order to fulfill what the Lord had spoken through the [m]prophet [Isaiah]: 23 “Behold, the [n]virgin shall be with child and give birth to a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel”—which, when translated, means, “God with us.” 24 Then Joseph awoke from his sleep and did as the angel of the Lord had commanded him, and he took Mary [to his home] as his wife, 25 but he kept her a virgin until she had given birth to a Son [her firstborn child]; and he named Him Jesus (The Lord is salvation).
- Matthew 1:1 Heb Yeshua (Joshua), meaning The Lord is salvation.
- Matthew 1:1 Gr Christos. Greek for Messiah, which means Anointed One. Throughout his gospel, which is directed primarily to Jewish believers, Matthew uses OT Scripture to emphasize the fact that Jesus is their promised Messiah.
- Matthew 1:1 The shepherd boy who killed the Philistine giant Goliath, and later became king of Israel.
- Matthew 1:2 Lit begot, fathered, from the Greek word gennao, meaning “to father a child” (early modern English beget) and so throughout the genealogy whenever father occurs.
- Matthew 1:2 Gr Judas; names of people in the OT are given in their OT form.
- Matthew 1:5 The woman who assisted the Hebrew spies before the conquest of Jericho (Josh 2:1-21).
- Matthew 1:6 David is the only one addressed as “the king.” The text places an emphasis on David, showing that Jesus is a descendant of David and an heir to the throne of David and the Davidic Covenant.
- Matthew 1:6 Lit her of Uriah.
- Matthew 1:16 The Greek singular feminine pronoun hes, translated “whom,” shows that Jesus was born of Mary alone, without Joseph’s participation; however, Jesus was considered Joseph’s legal son and heir. Accordingly, Matthew’s genealogy confirms Jesus as a legitimate descendant of David.
- Matthew 1:18 The first stage of marriage (called shiddukin in Hebrew) in Jewish tradition and law, usually lasting for a year before the wedding night; unlike an engagement, it was legally binding and required a divorce to nullify it. The woman remained with her parents during the betrothal year and was referred to as a “wife” even though the marriage was not consummated during this period of time (cf Deut 22:23, 24).
- Matthew 1:20 Lit begotten.
- Matthew 1:21 Those who, by personal faith, accept Him as Savior are saved from the penalty of sin and reconciled with the Father.
- Matthew 1:22 The prophets in the Bible always have the ability to foretell the future as revealed to them by God. Scripture provides stringent criteria for testing a prophet’s ability to foretell future events (Deut 18:22).
- Matthew 1:23 “Virgin” (Gr parthenos) clearly confirms that Mary was a virgin when she gave birth to Jesus.