Prayer for Deliverance from Enemies.
For the choir director; set to [a]Al-tashheth. A [b]Mikhtam of David, [c]when Saul sent men and they watched the house in order to kill him.
Deliver me from my enemies, O my God;
[d]Set me securely on high away from those who rise up against me.
Deliver me from those who do iniquity
And save me from men of bloodshed.
For behold, they have [e]set an ambush for my [f]life;
[g]Fierce men [h]launch an attack against me,
Not for my transgression nor for my sin, O Lord,
[i]For no guilt of mine, they run and set themselves against me.
Arouse Yourself to [j]help me, and see!
You, O Lord God of hosts, the God of Israel,
Awake to [k]punish all the nations;
Do not be gracious to any who are treacherous in iniquity. [l]Selah.
They return at evening, they howl like a dog,
And go around the city.
Behold, they belch forth with their mouth;
Swords are in their lips,
For, they say, “Who hears?”
But You, O Lord, laugh at them;
You scoff at all the nations.
- Psalm 59:1 Lit Do Not Destroy
- Psalm 59:1 Possibly Epigrammatic Poem or Atonement Psalm
- Psalm 59:1 1 Sam 19:11
- Psalm 59:1 Or May You put me in an inaccessibly high place
- Psalm 59:3 Or lain in wait
- Psalm 59:3 Lit soul
- Psalm 59:3 Or Strong
- Psalm 59:3 Or stir up strife
- Psalm 59:4 Lit Without guilt
- Psalm 59:4 Lit meet
- Psalm 59:5 Lit visit
- Psalm 59:5 Selah may mean: Pause, Crescendo or Musical interlude