The Lord the Psalmist’s Portion in Life and Deliverer in Death.
A [a]Mikhtam of David.
Preserve me, O God, for I take refuge in You.
[b]I said to the Lord, “You are [c]my Lord;
I have no good besides You.”
As for the [d]saints who are in the earth,
[e]They are the majestic ones in whom is all my delight.
The [f]sorrows of those who have [g]bartered for another god will be multiplied;
I shall not pour out their drink offerings of blood,
Nor will I take their names upon my lips.
The Lord is the portion of my inheritance and my cup;
You support my lot.
The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places;
Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me.
I will bless the Lord who has counseled me;
Indeed, my [h]mind instructs me in the night.
I have set the Lord continually before me;
Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.
Therefore my heart is glad and my glory rejoices;
My flesh also will dwell securely.
For You will not abandon my soul to [i]Sheol;
Nor will You [j]allow Your [k]Holy One to [l]undergo decay.
You will make known to me the path of life;
In Your presence is fullness of joy;
In Your right hand there are pleasures forever.
- Psalm 16:1 Possibly Epigrammatic Poem or Atonement Psalm
- Psalm 16:2 Or O my soul, you said
- Psalm 16:2 Or the Lord
- Psalm 16:3 Lit holy ones; i.e. the godly
- Psalm 16:3 Lit And the majestic ones...delight
- Psalm 16:4 I.e. sorrows due to idolatry
- Psalm 16:4 Or hastened to
- Psalm 16:7 Lit kidneys, figurative for inner man
- Psalm 16:10 I.e. the nether world
- Psalm 16:10 Lit give
- Psalm 16:10 Or godly one
- Psalm 16:10 Or see corruption or the pit