1 Thessalonians 1
Thanksgiving for These Believers
Paul and Silvanus and Timothy,
To the church of the Thessalonians in God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ: Grace to you and peace.
We give thanks to God always for all of you, making mention of you in our prayers; constantly bearing in mind your work of faith and labor of love and [a]steadfastness of hope [b]in our Lord Jesus Christ in the presence of our God and Father, knowing, brethren beloved by God, His choice of you; for our gospel did not come to you in word only, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction; just as you know what kind of men we [c]proved to be among you for your sake. You also became imitators of us and of the Lord, having received the word in much tribulation with the joy of the Holy Spirit, so that you became an example to all the believers in Macedonia and in Achaia. For the word of the Lord has sounded forth from you, not only in Macedonia and Achaia, but also in every place your faith toward God has gone forth, so that we have no need to say anything. For they themselves report about us what kind of a [d]reception we had [e]with you, and how you turned to God from [f]idols to serve [g]a living and true God, and to wait for His Son from [h]heaven, whom He raised from the dead, that is Jesus, who rescues us from the wrath to come.
- 1 Thessalonians 1:3 Or perseverance
- 1 Thessalonians 1:3 Lit of
- 1 Thessalonians 1:5 Or became
- 1 Thessalonians 1:9 Lit entrance
- 1 Thessalonians 1:9 Lit to
- 1 Thessalonians 1:9 Or the idols
- 1 Thessalonians 1:9 Or the
- 1 Thessalonians 1:10 Lit the heavens
1 Thessalonians 2:1-16
For you yourselves know, brethren, that our [a]coming to you was not in vain, but after we had already suffered and been mistreated in Philippi, as you know, we had the boldness in our God to speak to you the gospel of God amid much [b]opposition. For our exhortation does not come from error or impurity or [c]by way of deceit; but just as we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel, so we speak, not as pleasing men, but God who [d]examines our hearts. For we never came [e]with flattering speech, as you know, nor with a pretext for greed—God is witness— nor did we seek glory from men, either from you or from others, even though as apostles of Christ [f]we might have [g]asserted our authority. But we [h]proved to be [i]gentle [j]among you, as a nursing mother [k]tenderly cares for her own children. Having so fond an affection for you, we were well-pleased to impart to you not only the gospel of God but also our own [l]lives, because you had become [m]very dear to us.
For you recall, brethren, our labor and hardship, how working night and day so as not to be a burden to any of you, we proclaimed to you the gospel of God. You are witnesses, and so is God, how devoutly and uprightly and blamelessly we [n]behaved toward you [o]believers; just as you know how we were exhorting and encouraging and [p]imploring each one of you as a father would his own children, so that you would walk in a manner worthy of the God who calls you into His own kingdom and glory.
For this reason we also constantly thank God that when you received the word of God which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but for what it really is, the word of God, which also performs its work in you who believe. For you, brethren, became imitators of the churches of God in Christ Jesus that are in Judea, for you also endured the same sufferings at the hands of your own countrymen, even as they did from the Jews, who both killed the Lord Jesus and the prophets, and [q]drove us out. [r]They are not pleasing to God, [s]but hostile to all men, hindering us from speaking to the Gentiles so that they may be saved; with the result that they always fill up the measure of their sins. But wrath has come upon them [t]to the utmost.
- 1 Thessalonians 2:1 Lit entrance
- 1 Thessalonians 2:2 Or struggle, conflict
- 1 Thessalonians 2:3 Lit in deceit
- 1 Thessalonians 2:4 Or approves
- 1 Thessalonians 2:5 Lit in a word of flattery
- 1 Thessalonians 2:6 Lit being able to
- 1 Thessalonians 2:6 Or be burdensome
- 1 Thessalonians 2:7 Or became gentle
- 1 Thessalonians 2:7 Three early mss read babes
- 1 Thessalonians 2:7 Lit in the midst of you
- 1 Thessalonians 2:7 Or cherishes
- 1 Thessalonians 2:8 Or souls
- 1 Thessalonians 2:8 Lit beloved
- 1 Thessalonians 2:10 Lit became
- 1 Thessalonians 2:10 Or who believe
- 1 Thessalonians 2:11 Or testifying to
- 1 Thessalonians 2:15 Or persecuted us
- 1 Thessalonians 2:15 Lit and
- 1 Thessalonians 2:15 Lit and
- 1 Thessalonians 2:16 Or forever or altogether; lit to the end