Lament over Defeat in Battle, and Prayer for Help.
For the choir director; according to [a]Shushan Eduth. A [b]Mikhtam of David, to teach; [c]when he struggled with Aram-naharaim and with Aram-zobah, and Joab returned, and smote twelve thousand of Edom in the Valley of Salt.
1O God, You have rejected us. You have [d]broken us;
You have been angry; O, restore us.
2 You have made the [e]land quake, You have split it open;
Heal its breaches, for it totters.
3 You have [f]made Your people experience hardship;
You have given us [g]wine to drink that makes us stagger.
4 You have given a banner to those who fear You,
That it may be displayed because of the truth. [h]Selah.
5 That Your beloved may be delivered,
Save with Your right hand, and answer [i]us!
6 God has spoken in His [j]holiness:
“I will exult, I will portion out Shechem and measure out the valley of Succoth.
7 “Gilead is Mine, and Manasseh is Mine;
Ephraim also is the [k]helmet of My head;
Judah is My [l]scepter.
8 “Moab is My washbowl;
Over Edom I shall throw My shoe;
Shout loud, O Philistia, because of Me!”
9 Who will bring me into the besieged city?
Who [m]will lead me to Edom?
10 Have not You Yourself, O God, rejected us?
And will You not go forth with our armies, O God?
11 O give us help against the adversary,
For deliverance [n]by man is in vain.
12 [o]Through God we shall do valiantly,
And it is He who will tread down our adversaries.
Notas al pie
- Psalm 60:1 Lit The lily of testimony
- Psalm 60:1 Possibly, Epigrammatic Poem or Atonement Psalm
- Psalm 60:1 2 Sam 8:3, 13; 1 Chr 18:3, 12
- Psalm 60:1 Or broken out upon us
- Psalm 60:2 Or earth
- Psalm 60:3 Lit caused Your people to see
- Psalm 60:3 Lit wine of staggering
- Psalm 60:4 Selah may mean: Pause, Crescendo or Musical interlude
- Psalm 60:5 Some authorities read me
- Psalm 60:6 Or sanctuary
- Psalm 60:7 Lit protection
- Psalm 60:7 Or lawgiver
- Psalm 60:9 Or has led
- Psalm 60:11 Lit of
- Psalm 60:12 Or In or With