Proclamation of Cyrus
1Now in the [a]first year of [b]Cyrus king of Persia [that is, the first year he ruled Babylon], in order to fulfill the word of the Lord by the mouth of Jeremiah [the prophet], the Lord stirred up (put in motion) the spirit of Cyrus king of Persia, so that he sent a proclamation throughout all his kingdom, and also put it in writing, saying:
2 “Thus says Cyrus king of Persia, ‘The [c]Lord, the God of heaven, has given me all the kingdoms of the earth and He has appointed me to build Him a house at Jerusalem, which is in Judah. 3 Whoever there is among you of all His people, may his God be with him! Let him go up to Jerusalem, which is in Judah and rebuild the house of the Lord, the God of Israel; He is God who is in Jerusalem. 4 In any place where a survivor (Jewish exile) may live, let the men (Gentiles) of that place support him with silver and gold, with goods and cattle, together with freewill offerings for the house of God in Jerusalem.’”
Holy Articles Restored
5 Then the heads of the fathers’ households of Judah and Benjamin, and the priests and Levites, all those whose spirits God had stirred up, [d]arose to go up and rebuild the house of the Lord which is in Jerusalem. 6 All those who were around them encouraged them with articles of silver, with gold, with goods, with cattle, and with valuable things, in addition to all that was given as a freewill offering. 7 Also King Cyrus brought out the articles of the house of the Lord, which Nebuchadnezzar had carried away from Jerusalem [when he captured that city] and had put in the house of his gods. 8 And Cyrus, king of Persia, had Mithredath the treasurer bring them out, and he counted them out to [e]Sheshbazzar, the governor (leader) of Judah. 9 And they counted: 30 dishes (basins) of gold, 1,000 dishes of silver, 29 duplicates; 10 30 [small] gold bowls, 410 [small] silver bowls of a second kind, and 1,000 other articles. 11 All the articles of gold and of silver totaled 5,400. All these Sheshbazzar [the governor] brought up with the exiles who went from Babylon up to Jerusalem.
Notas al pie
- Ezra 1:1 Cyrus the Great captured Babylon in Oct 539 b.c. This was about seventy years after the first Hebrew captives were taken to Babylon.
- Ezra 1:1 Cyrus the Great established the Persian Empire and ruled from 559-530 b.c. His kingdom extended from Turkey in the west to the Indus River in the east, covering most of Southwest Asia and much of Central Asia. He was a great soldier as well as a wise and benevolent king, whose respect for religious freedom led to the return of the Hebrew captives to Jerusalem. Ancient historians report that the tomb assumed to be his was visited by Alexander the Great (356-323 b.c.) when he conquered Persepolis in 330 b.c. The tomb still exists among the ruins of Pasargadae in modern Iran.
- Ezra 1:2 It is remarkable that Cyrus actually used God’s special name, the tetragrammaton YHWH (traditionally rendered “Lord”). Certainly Cyrus recognized the true God, but he probably considered Him as one of a number of existing gods, as was typical for a polytheist. For Cyrus God of heaven probably meant just that, along with God of Israel and the God who is in Jerusalem (v 3).
- Ezra 1:5 The Hebrew verb “to stand” or “arise” is often an instruction to get ready to fulfill a command, somewhat similar to the military command “attention.”
- Ezra 1:8 There is occasionally a debate over the identities of Sheshbazzar and Zerubbabel. Sheshbazzar was an older Jewish official who was appointed by Cyrus and served in Judah (5:24). Zerubbabel was a younger man who was recognized as a political leader among the Jews. He was the son of Shealtiel and an ancestor of Jesus (5:2; Matt 1:12, 13).
바빌론에서의 포로 생활이 끝남
1페르시아의 키루스황제 원년에 여호와께서는 예레미야를 통해 말씀하신 것을 이루시려고 키루스황제의 마음을 감동시키셔서 다음과 같은 조서를 내려 온 땅에 공포하도록 하였다.
2“페르시아의 키루스황제가 말한다. 하늘의 신 여호와께서 세상 모든 나라를 나에게 주셨고 또 유다의 예루살렘에 성전을 건축하라고 나에게 지시하셨다.
3그러므로 너희 중 그의 백성들은 누구든지 다 유다 예루살렘으로 돌아가 이스라엘의 하나님 여호와의 성전을 건축하여라. 그는 예루살렘에 계시는 하나님이시다. 너희 하나님께서 너희와 함께하시기를 원한다.
4또 유다 사람이 어느 곳에 살든지 그가 돌아갈 때 그 이웃 사람들은 그를 도와주고 그에게 은과 금과 그 밖에 필요한 물건과 짐승과 그리고 예루살렘에 있는 하나님의 성전에 바칠 예물을 주도록 하여라.”
5그래서 유다와 베냐민 지파의 족장들과 제사장들과 레위인들, 그리고 하나님의 감동을 받은 모든 사람들이 올라가서 예루살렘 성전을 지을 준비를 하였다.
6그러자 그들의 이웃 사람들은 은그릇, 금, 여러 가지 필수품, 가축, 값진 선물, 그 밖에 성전에 드릴 예물을 그들에게 주었다.
7-8또 키루스황제는 재무관 미드레닷에게 지시하여 느부갓네살왕이 예루살렘에서 가져와 그들의 신전에 둔 성전의 각종 기구들을 끄집어내어 그 명세서를 작성한 다음 귀환자들의 지도자인 세스바살에게 주도록 했는데
9그것은 금접시 30개, 은접시 1,000개, 1:9 원문의뜻이분명치않다.향로 29개,
10금대접 30개, 은대접 410개, 그 밖에 다른 그릇 1,000개였다.
11이상의 금은 그릇은 모두 1:11 원문에는 ‘5,400’ 개2,499개였다. 포로들이 바빌론에서 예루살렘으로 돌아올 때 세스바살은 이 모든 성전 기구도 함께 가지고 왔다.